[amc] a note from the pastor

  • From: "garland robertson" <pastor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Austin Mennonite Church" <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 11:56:35 -0500

I pray you are finding comfort and assurance as you journey with God's
abiding spirit.

All of us benefit by the affirmation we receive from the community.  Support
and validation from those closest to us, our family and friends, have a
particular capacity to promote balance and to strengthen our personal sense
of well-being.  By this embrace we are encouraged as we spend ourselves in
the calling that seems to honor our need to live with integrity-to live with
boldness the vision of life that arises within us from the core of our
being.  Yet sometimes this boldness leaves us standing alone, apart, no
longer within the social structures that before nourished us.  Finding a
context wherein we can live honestly and still belong to a valued group is
our desperate need.  This basic human need has enormous influence on the
choices we make-whether we will choose to please those persons in whose
company we take refuge or whether we will choose to be consistent with our
individual vision of self-expression.  And if we offend either of these
essential concerns, we have deep regret.  The scriptures help us reconcile
this dilemma by inviting us to a new perspective, a guide for living that
serves both the community and our personal integrity.  The wisdom of God
rescues us.  These thoughts will compose the sermon for this next Sunday,
'The choice is always ours.'