[amc] a note from the pastor

  • From: "garland robertson" <pastor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Austin Mennonite Church" <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 15:22:03 -0600

I trust you will find this week to be enriching and encouraging.

I will be away for a few days with the CPT Iraq Team in Chicago discussing
future options for the team to remain connected to the situation in Iraq.

The human creature is amazingly adaptable.  When we survey the living
conditions of various persons, we discover an enormous variety of
circumstances in which persons exist.  Even apart from desperate conditions
wherein persons must struggle to survive without adequate support, different
persons intentionally choose to live in differing environments.  Human
creatures are also amazingly susceptible to fantasy, to the infinite
capacity of imagination to construct more attractive alternatives for
experiencing life.  Despite enjoying conditions which seem to provide
everything one might today dream of, tomorrow there may be envisioned an
improvement which will cause the former situation be feel deficient.
Throughout the ages wise persons have suggested to their fellow citizens
that happiness results from relationship rather than from change.  Given the
necessities of food, clothing, and shelter, inner contentment occurs when
one is appropriately related to the world around them.  Achieving
appropriate relationship is not only our most beneficial pursuit for finding
peace but also our most effective method of managing fantasy.

These thoughts will compose the sermon for next Sunday, 'Keeping
relationship in mind.'