[amc] a note from the pastor

  • From: Garland Robertson <pastor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Austin Mennonite Church <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2010 09:14:33 -0500

I am honored and privileged to continue serving with you as your pastor as we strive to follow the way of Jesus as a community, to become a word of the Lord for our time and place. Never before have I been as enriched and fulfilled in my spirit as I have been over the past six years while we have been together along the journey of faith. We will continue together, striving to be faithful messengers of the Christian gospel.

This next Sunday the Sanctuary Class will continue our discussion about 'Two-way Mission: North and South Americans in Conversation.' Our assignment at the end of the recent class was to reflect on the benefit of sharing our understanding of the way of Jesus with other persons outside our immediate context--persons of other cultures and religions/spiritualities. Please come ready to share the result of your thinking.

In circumstances which constrict access to resources and services for so many persons across the earth, it seems almost heartless to proclaim that the Kingdom of God has come. Characteristics of this new creation are serenity and nourishment enough for everyone, a place of safety where nothing can enter to harm and cause suffering. And yet, Jesus had an adamant sense that this reality was exactly what was being implemented by his presence in the world. We look at the situations which Jesus acted in, and we recognize amazing changes that he produced: some persons who were hungry were fed, some persons who were ill were made well, some persons who were distressed by demons were cured. However, the power structures in which he operated were unchanged, and most persons who were hungry were not fed, most persons who were ill were not made well, most persons who were distressed by demons were not cured. What does it mean today when we consider the strategy of Jesus to send messengers ahead of him to announce that the Kingdom of God is near?

The scriptures we will consider this next Sunday are Isaiah 66:1-9; Luke 10:1-11, 16-20; and Galatians 6:7-16. Thoughts prompted by these passages will compose the sermon, 'Announcing that recreation has begun.'