[amc] a note from the pastor

  • From: Garland Robertson <pastor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Austin Mennonite Church <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 16:22:40 -0500

I am in and out of the office this week for my scheduled absence. I will be driving to Newton on Thursday for a Friday meeting of the Leadership Commission and plan to return early Saturday morning. This next Sunday Dama Torres will preach for us, using Psalm 23 as her text.

Alberto has recently undergone back surgery and although the process went well he is experiencing complications which prevent him from traveling much and returning to his employment. His and Marby's children have also been ill but are recovering now. I have been discussing with Dan ways the community can help he and his family better manage this disruption. I have secured some support for them from a foundation and hopefully the church will be able to supplement this. Please remember them in your prayers as they move into the days ahead. I will keep you informed about Alberto's progress toward health.

During the recent MC/USA conference in Columbus I attended a seminar to be devoted to discussing international engagements. Because the leader was unable to be present the participants talked among ourselves about issues that surfaced. At one point in the meeting I raised the question about how to initiate a Mennonite response to the demand for war tax. I suggested we work to compose a delegation to discuss our objections with congress just as the initiative which eventually resulted in the designation of conscientious objection to war was developed following WWI.

On Nov 6-8 a meeting of the National War Tax Resistance Coordinating Committee in Cleveland OH will provide a time for interested Mennonites to discuss this option further. I am planning to be present for that meeting. I invite suggestions and thoughts from you about this proceeding. It will be helpful for me to know the past history of Mennonites relating to war tax. This procedure is not intended to be an anti-tax protest, only a serious attempt to respond to the involuntary requirement for CO's to pay for war. When I am working with CPT I recognize we are laboring against forces that are in place partly because of my participation in paying war tax. It is a peculiarly uncomfortable feeling.