[amc] a note from the pastor

  • From: "garland robertson" <pastor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Austin Mennonite Church" <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2006 11:46:40 -0600

I trust you are nourished by the promise of Advent that our God has chosen
to be always near to us.

On the bulletin cover for December 10, the caption declares 'Love invites
repentance.'  How does this work, that love invites repentance?  What is
that nature of love which prompts such a radical transformation in an
individual; so that one's entire character is caused to think and act in a
totally opposite way, producing a change that results in the individual not
only turning away from assaulting and dominating behaviors but also turning
toward compassionate and respectful relationship?  More often we think and
speak of the power of love to empathize with and embrace the neighbor in a
way that reflects an equal determination to seek the comfort and wellbeing
of others with the same regard that we display for our own personal welfare.
That love seeks no gratitude or other compensation from its object lessens
our inclination to contemplate how love might affect the person upon whom it
is bestowed.  And yet in the coming of God to be present with us, we know
that love has profound consequence.  Could the memory of this capacity of
love be relevant in shaping our response to those who hurt and abuse us?
These thoughts will compose the sermon for this next Sunday, 'The glorious
consequence of love.'