[amc] FW: Hebron: Fifteen Killed, More Wounded in Hebron Shooting Attack

  • From: "Kathy Reid" <Kathy@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "Mennonite Church" <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 12:15:30 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: "Christian Peacemaker Teams, Chicago, IL" <cpt@xxxxxxx>
To: <menno.org.cpt.news@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, November 16, 2002 12:14 PM
Subject: Hebron: Fifteen Killed, More Wounded in Hebron Shooting Attack

CPTnet
Fifteen Killed, More Wounded in Hebron Shooting Attack
By Le Anne Clausen
November 16, 2002

HEBRON At least fifteen people are dead and fifteen more wounded after a
shooting attack Friday evening, November 15th, at 7:15pm.  Palestinian
gunmen opened fire on a group of Israeli settlers and soldiers walking to
the Israeli settlement of Kiryat Arba after Shabbat services at the
synagogue in the Tomb of the Patriarchs/Ibrahimi Mosque complex.  Among the
dead are eight Israeli soldiers, four Israeli settlers, and three
Palestinians believed to have perpetrated the attack.  Colonel Dror
Weinberg, commander of the Israeli forces in Hebron, was named as one of
the victims.  Other names have not yet been released.  At least five of the
wounded are in serious condition according to reports received by the
team.  The Palestinian militia Islamic Jihad has confirmed responsibility
for the attack, claiming retribution for the Israeli military assassination
of its leader Iyad Sawalha in Jenin late last week.

The Israeli military responded to the attack with several hours of firing
at Palestinian areas with machine guns, tanks, and helicopter-mounted
artillery.  The military also used a bulldozer to demolish two Palestinian
homes near the site of the shooting.  It is not yet clear how the homes
demolished were connected to the attack.

Much of Hebron is under tight curfew

CPTers Le Anne Clausen, Bob Holmes, Jerry Levin, and Quaker Peace and
Witness Service (QPWS) member John Lynes walked to the site of the attack,
conveying their sorrow and condolences to Israeli settlers and soldiers
gathered nearby, as well as Palestinian families at the site of the home
demolitions.  Team members observed the bodies of the suspected gunmen
being held by the Israeli military in a field nearby. As team members
watched, soldiers placed a cover over one of the bodies and attempted to
put it on a stretcher for transport.  The CPTers also observed soldiers
carrying out searches of Palestinian houses in the neighborhood.  Later
team members Rick Polhamus, Mary Yoder, and Christine Caton delivered a
letter of condolence to the Israeli military base in Hebron.  The Israeli
victims are expected to be buried at sunset Saturday at the end of
Shabbat.  Team members intend to stay the night with Palestinian civilian
families in areas which may be targeted for retribution attacks.

The Christian Peacemaker Team in Hebron strongly condemns this night of
violence and calls on both sides to end the cycle of revenge before more
lives are lost (letter of condolences attached).  Our thoughts and prayers
are with the loved ones of all who were killed, for the recovery of those
injured, and for a just and lasting peace in this region.

Letter from CPT Hebron  to the Israel Defense Force

We, the Christian Peacemaker Team in Hebron, want  to express our extreme
sorrow and grief at this time.  Our hearts are heavy with the losses of
soldiers and civilians, and particularly Colonel Weinberg whom our team met
on several occasions.  We wish to extend our thoughts and prayers to the
families and loved ones of those who died.  May the God of all comfort give
you strength and hope during this time.

We condemn the violence that took so many lives yesterday and pray for
peace and a better tomorrow.  May you be surrounded by comfort from
friends, families, and the God who sees our deepest needs

Again, we express our sincere condolences for your great loss, and will
keep you in our thoughts and prayers.

CPT Hebron
Christian Peacemaker Team

Photos of the attack site and home demolitions are available at
www.clubphoto.com.

Christian Peacemaker Teams is a program of Brethren, Quaker and Mennonite
Churches.  CPT P. O. Box 6508 Chicago, IL 60680 tel. 773-277-0253; Fax:
773-277-0291, E-Mail cpt@xxxxxxx WEB www.prairienet.org/cpt