[amc] Bethel College

  • From: "Bob" <rkoehn1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2010 13:47:00 -0500

BETHEL PRAISED FOR PEACE EDUCATION AND 'GREAT VALUES WITH GOOD VALUE'

Bethel College has been recognized by another national magazine.

With the start of a new school year come the listings of U.S. colleges and
universities noteworthy in a variety of categories. The September-October 2010
issue of "Mother Jones" magazine included the "MoJo Mini College Guide -- Our
annual (and completely unscientific) guide to schools that combine great values
with good value."

Among the eight schools listed from across the country was Bethel, cited as a
"Best value for: Students who want to give peace a chance." Bethel earned the
honor thanks to the Kansas Institute for Peace and Conflict Resolution
(KIPCOR), where undergraduates can earn a certificate in conflict mediation in
addition to their diploma.

KIPCOR, which is celebrating its 25th year, was the first regional peace
institute in the Midwest and is one of the oldest in the country. In addition
to its undergraduate curriculum, KIPCOR offers extensive resources, in terms of
both training and direct staff assistance, for conflict mediation -- whether
the conflict involves two people, a church or school group or a government
agency.

"This listing in 'Mother Jones' is special," said President Perry White, "as it
recognizes one of the cornerstone characteristics of Bethel College -- our
commitment to our traditional institutional values of discipleship,
scholarship, service and integrity. We are proud of our heritage and
appreciative of this recognition."

To see the complete "Mother Jones" college guide, go to
<www.motherjones.com/toc/2010/09>.