[amc] AAS Sunday's article on the needs and service gaps for Austin's mentally ill.

  • From: Craig Headley <craigheadley@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Austin Mennonite <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Jared Diener <j.diener@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Ron Diener <rondiener@xxxxxxxxx>, Steve Friesen <Friesen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Stephen Hochstetler <shochste@xxxxxxxxxx>, philip king <drwickedliquid@xxxxxxxxx>, Dolly Lambdin <lambdin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Austin Mennonite <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Craig Miller <cmiller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Gloria Neunaber <trinitycdc@xxxxxxxxxxx>, garland robertson <pastor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Werner Severin <wjs3108@xxxxxxxxx>, Michael Sirmons <sirmonsm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, paul snow <snow.paul@xxxxxxxxx>, Zachariah Stoughton <zstoughton@xxxxxxx>, Doug Krehbiel <dougk@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Jordan Menno <LilJayDog@xxxxxxxxx>, Marsha Miller <m.miller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Alex Miller <alex.miller3@xxxxxxxxx>, Ethan Reezer <firelizzard@xxxxxxxxx>, Carrie Bert <carrie@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Thad Crouch <thadcrouch@xxxxxxxxx>, Jared Diener <jd.diener@xxxxxxxxx>, Aaron Gerber <agerbman@xxxxxxxxx>, Doug Gmennonite <dglongneck@xxxxxxxx>, Joel Goering <jfgoering@xxxxxxxxx>, Craig Headley <craigheadley@xxxxxxxxx>, Robert Knipe III <kniper1@xxxxxxxxx>, Rebecca L-A <r.lambdin.abraham@xxxxxxxxx>, Kareem Lehman <kareemlehman84@xxxxxxxxx>, Pamela Neumann <pjnsatx@xxxxxxxxx>, Sarah Reesor <sarah.m.reesor@xxxxxxxxx>, Katherine Skanse <kaskanse@xxxxxxxxx>, Emily Smith <smith.emilya@xxxxxxxxx>, Zachary Stoughton <pianotuner@xxxxxxx>, David Thiessen <datvdb@xxxxxxxxxx>, Greg Thiessen <gregst@xxxxxxxxxx>, Nathan Toews <nwtoews@xxxxxxxxx>, Charity Wenger <charitywenger@xxxxxxxxx>, Dixie Yoder <dixichik1981@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 11:37:01 -0800 (PST)

All

As you may or may not know, we are represented at the Downtown Cluster of
Congregations and Social Service Agencys, which meets monthly to address issues
affecting the poor, needy and homeless, as well as special service
opportunities where we can do hands on work.

. Although we are not a "Downtown Church", our devotion to the cause of social
justice and aiding the poor makes us a perfect partner in this cause.

Several years ago (as a ordained Deacon in the Presbyterian Church) I served on
(and even "chaired" ) this committee. I have been active ever since. I asked
that we be involved and have been there representing us ever since.

The attached article describes some of the needs of the Mentally Ill in Austin,
and ways congregations might help. Although we may not be a "good fit" for
this, I wanted you to know about it.

If you are ever interested in going to these meetings let me know. From now on
I will be forwarding e-mails and newsletters from the cluster to keep you
informed.

Craig