[amayausers] Re: tweaking premade designs

  • From: "Roland R. Irish III" <signman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 08:33:25 -0400

Larry, we've come to the same conclusion-tweaking Dakota designs AND doing a
first scrap sewout to look for problems....I can usually get rid of 15-20%
of the stitching just by going through and watching the sewout and making
notes...excess underlayment, stitching on top of stitching on top of
stitching that can be removed, density that can be cut down. I've had
designs from the 'book' with densities as low as 3 in them-and to me, that's
a guaranteed thread breaker!
And a lot of times I take the sewing 'field' and throw away the premade
underlayment, running stitches, etc. and just have the designshop create a
new 'underlayment' and even new fill pattern-and end up hundreds of stitches
smaller.
It's helping me a lot to tear their designs apart and figure out how or why
something is done-learning to set up a color 'sequence' to get rid of extra
trims, color changes, etc.
Slow learning but I'm getting there!
And using the scrap sewout is mandatory on any Dakota design-after we sewed
a 'yin yang' right out of the treasure chest onto a denim jacket-and too
late found half the design flipped over upside down and backwards! Had to
resew over it 2 times to hide it! (another waste of money-the 'stitch
eraser'....what a joke! Had 2 of the identical shavers upstairs IN THE
MEDICINE CABINET that cost under $20!!!!!) Only thing we use it for now is
to 'shave' down the nap on Christmas Stocking for cleanup after sewing!
Roland