[amayausers] Re: new computer...

  • From: "HK Acree" <hkacree@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 07:47:29 -0800

Paul,
I'll throw my 2 cents worth in here. Called Dell to check on puter,
Dimension model, and tried to get them to dump the phone modem, bundled
software etc. The rep asked what I was going to do with the thing and after
I told him he said the Dimension series was not what I needed. Dimension
built with light duty components, not industrial quality. Must have
Optiplex, built with heavy duty good stuff. Designed to run 24/7 for several
years. Pretty much the same specs you quoted, with a little faster chip and
1gig RAM.  ($699.00) Maybe I paid  too much. On the other hand, you get what
you pay for. I use this machine to digitize as well and the increased RAM is
definitely a plus when you have a large design (50,000+ stitches) as the
refresh rate is so much faster. I did add a 17" plasma monitor to reduce the
eye strain and would not trade it for a different model. Spendy but worth
it. You have entered an area where there is no one correct answer.
Regardless of what you go with get as much RAM as you can afford.

Herb
Royal Embroidery