[amayausers.com] Re: help

  • From: theboards@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 20:38:45 UT

http://www.amayausers.com/boards/ultimatebb.php?/topic/2/1070/2.html#000020

Laurie-I had nothing but trouble with caps for years...until I got some
excellent help from Rod, Herb, Ed, and someone else that all offered advice.
Here's what I was doing WRONG...
lettering-too dense (3.5, 4, etc.-no...should be 5,6) density of backgrounds-
too dense, also-backgrounds on hats...not really recommended.
Sewing from center out, and from bottom to top. I was using shirt layouts,
didn't change things. Always sew the bottom line (of lettering) or bottom
portion first-work your way up, and when possible-do the center first, then to
one side, then back to the center and to the other side.
Image height-average hats 2" is good-unstructured low crown- 1.5" is about it.
Some full height structured hats you might go up to 2.5 or 2.75 but you'll see
the hat moving around.
Backing-I use 1 layer of stiff 2oz. tear away, 4" roll. Precut sheets don't
always work-unless you get the long ones.
Hat brim-watch the hat as it sews-is the brim rubbing on the back of the needle
head? This will 'pull' the face of the cap-distort the sewout, break needles or
thread...that's what the 'bungee cord' adaptor fixes on the CCF.