[amayausers] Re: Turning off Amaya?

  • From: "Roland R. Irish III" <signman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 15:46:17 -0400

Here's my 2=A2...
I have always turned all electrical stuff off-computers, monitors, =20
printers, and machines. (Amaya, engraver, etc.)
Only thing I can't turn off completely is the digital printer/cutter-=20
that has a built in program that turns itself on every 12 hours to =20
purge and clean the print heads if it hasn't been used.
As for my computers, until 2 years ago I was STILL using my original =20
Mac computers-15 years old. Had the 2 original Seiko monitors also-=20
because they would shut off when the computer shut off. When I =20
upgraded from the 13" monitors over the years to 15, then 17, then 19 =20=

inch models-I only got 3-4 years before the monitors would die, =20
because they actually stayed on 24/7, just like ANY tv set with =20
'instant on'....they did not respond to the shut down command from =20
the computer. Guaranteed- 3 months after any warranty expired-the =20
monitor would die.
Probably went through 6-8 monitors...yet sitting out back as an =20
emergency backup-is STILL my original 15 year old Seiko!
And I have gotten newer computers over the years, but finally started =20=

recycling or giving away the older macs...they still had not died.
My PC's, running the Amaya is one that is 4 years old from our store-=20
had been the sales computer and we upgraded and refurbished it. No =20
bugs, no viruses...shut down when not in use and never ever hooked to =20=

the internet.
An even older eMachine runs my engraver-now 8 years old, and that is =20
also shut down when not used. Again, never had any problems with it-=20
other than monitors going-on the 3rd one now! Because they don't shut =20=

off completely.
Now I have that all plugged into a power strip-and THAT gets shut off =20=

so maybe the monitor will last longer.

Friend of mine owns a printing shop-all macs, Xeroxes, etc.-and they =20
have to get new computers or replace boards, etc. every year or =20
so...and monitors all the time...because they DON'T shut them =20
down...leave them on 'like the tech told them to'....
yeah, and ever wonder why PC's are ALWAYS shown on the floor under =20
the desk? have you EVER had a tech or sales person tell you to put it =20=

ON the desk, like a Mac? On the floor they suck in all the dirt and =20
crap from carpets, shoes, floor, everything...clog the vents and =20
cooling fan and burnout. So they get to sell you a new one!
Macs....always shown ON the desk...never clog up, never burn =20
out....but you never have to buy a new one unless you =20
upgrade...otherwise Mac would be selling more than PC's!
Roland=