[amayausers] Re: Turning off Amaya?

  • From: "John Yaglenski" <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 15:30:30 -0400

To confuse the issue further

Quoting:

"If you're the PC guy in the family or some other group, you've probably
been asked this question: "At night should I turn my computer off?"

Ever since normal people have had computers, this question has made the
rounds with a variety of "expert" answers. The early versions presented a
trade-off between power consumption and stress on components. Turning the
computer on or off, so the theory goes and accurately I believe, is the most
physically stressful thing you do to it all day, so I think most experts
have advised that it's better to leave the system on."

"Because I no longer consider myself plugged into the hardware market, I
asked my longtime colleague Nick Stam, Executive Senior Technical Guy at
both PC Magazine and ExtremeTech. I specifically asked him about a newer
theory I'd heard that components are reliable enough in stress conditions
that leaving them on all the time raises the likelihood that you will
encounter problems having to do with long lifetimes, i.e., that you'll run
into the mean time between failures. Nick has no more quantitative data than
I, but he too suspects that the stress of startup and shutdown is more of a
real-world risk than long life.

In recent years, the part I've seen fail most often in PCs is the power
supply, definitely the part that gets stressed the most at power-up and
power-down, but also the one with the most mechanical stress on it."

Now the amaya is at it's core, a computer - but who knows.  Fun.

JOHN