[amayausers] Re: Suggestions on sewing a Port Authority Sport-Tek Dri Mesh Sport Shirt

  • From: "Alan and Margaret Jannuzzi" <Wishesinstitches@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 21:46:37 -0700

Dear Gail,
I just finished some $64 golf shirts. They are for a golf coach and the
shirts were donated to the team so I didn't have anyway to replace them.
I think they fall into the category of dri mesh.  The look like very
light weight jersey.  Stretchy.  Terrible to work on.  After several
samples this is what I ended up doing.
Lettering was Brody script at 4.4 density.  Center line underlay.  120
column width.  They stitched out fine  the first sample.  You could
probably put density at 5 or 6 but I didn't need to.  You have to
experiment with each design.
In the solid fill-in design It was a capital H with an animal head on
top.  I removed as much of the top layer as possible and put density any
where from 5-9 under the head. The H is solid with an outline.  I
removed the outline completely.  I copied the H putting two layers
together without underlay.  One layer had a density of 10 and the other
density of 20. This did allow the fabric to show through but did a nice
job at getting rid of the puckering. It gave it a different texture.
I did show my samples to the customer and explained that this is a
problem with this fabric.  Customer understood and went with the loose
weave look. I ended up using two layers of cut away because it puckered
too much with only one.  Customer was pleased.  He told me that he was
watching golf on TV and much of the time he was looking at the logos on
shirts to see how they puckered.  He liked mine better.
Hope this helps.  Margaret