[amayausers] Re: Split Elements

  • From: Tom D'Auria <lastczar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 11:03:34 -0700 (PDT)

another question I would have, or something I would point out, is that if you
did the wide satin stitches, the machine clearly goes slower than if you used a
split stitch or a fill.

  So while your stitch count may go up meaningfully, I don't think the time
spent sewing will increase by as large an amount.  You can also factor in that
the wider stitches use more thread, but I'm trying to keep it simple.

  I agree with Roland, as there are times I've added 10-20% more stitches to a
design to get it looking the way I want and not changed the price I charge.
Most of the people are thrilled when they see the product. Something that would
have taken 7 minutes to sew, might take 8 but I decided in the beginning that I
would try to compete based on quality of workmanship rather than price.

  I'm only at this 18 months, but those are my observations.

  Tom Dauria
  Mr. Sew & Sew
"Roland R. Irish III" <signman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  As Aaron points out, changing stitch type really increases the count,
which
in turn raises the price you have to charge.
BUT, look at it this way...I now have a good account, small but worth
it. Local
limosine company brought in his satin jacket 2 years ago...name on
the back
in satin stitch, probably 1 1/2" or taller letters. Half of them had
pulled right out
when something would catch the threads. Not even a couple months old
and it looked
terrible!
So I remade his design, and did the split element on all the
stitches. It's been 2 years,
and he has gone from just his one coat to 2 coats each for every
driver (lightweight and
heavier 4 season jacket) and his wife, fatherinlaw, kids...and not
one jacket has had
any stitching pull out yet.
So...here's the question...do the job faster and cheaper-and hand
your customer to
another shop, or do it right the first time and delivery quality
products?