[amayausers.com] Re: Small font

  • From: theboards@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2009 12:12:50 UT

http://www.amayausers.com/boards/ultimatebb.php?/topic/2/1001.html#000003

Besides your backing and solvy...don't stretch the material when you hoop it!
The 'weave' on pique and knits is like old fashioned cordoroy pants-it is
ridged with defined 'highs' and 'lows'..so your stitching is going up and down
on that fabric. Nothing you can do about it-you are sewing on a moving target!
Good backing will hold the material in place, not stretching the material will
keep the stitching 'in one place' and help, solvy on top will keep the
stitching 'up' on the fabric and when it dissolves later, the thread isn't
pulled tight down. Increasing minimum width (and it means REALLY increasing
it-130 is a starting point) for tiny letters isn't a heck of a lot-think about
it...and the font makes a difference. Forget small letters with 'serifs' (like
the 'times' font in this message). Basic 'helvetica', arial, avantegarde, just
a plain old straight line block font is the best you can hope for.
I had a school logo that has all small lettering- .18 or so-and not a font
worked. I ended up manually 'creating' the font with 12 point normal stitch
line-just sat and 'drew' the lettering. Threw away the font, and it sews great.
Tedious but when it's the only way to do it...on other problem fonts (small
ones) I can use a single line stitch-8 pt width I think is as fine as I go.