[amayausers.com] Re: Sequin Attachment

  • From: webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2007 07:48:06 UT

This message was posted by The Embroidery Authority on AmayaUsers.com. PLEASE
DO NOT REPLY VIA EMAIL. Instead, respond to the thread on the WEBSITE by
clicking here:
http://www.amayausers.com/boards/ultimatebb.php?/topic/1/197.html#000003

Ms. Barbara,
Okay, here goes...
To truly get a good start in embroidery, I believe one must be aware of one's
abilities and limitations.  It's one thing for a customer to ask you to sew a
page of the bible the size of a postage stamp, but it's another thing for an
embroiderer to think they CAN do it too.
The Sequin Attachment IS incredible!  I've attended two technical classes on
them, installed them, trained customer's to use them, and even run them myself.
 Simply put,... WOW!!!
However, this concept is not for every embroiderer.  I believe you should have
at least a year's experience on the Amaya system and should be both
knowledgable of Design Shop's editing tools and familiar with it's Digitizing
tools.  If you fall short of this, give yourself some time before jumping into
sequins.
Know that if there is any group out there that is making sequin designs
available as stock designs like Dakota Collectibles, I and many other tech's
and trainers are not aware of it.  What this means is that you will have to
digitize all of your own sequin stitches.  I'm sure in time, pre-digitized
sequin designs will be available for purchase but sequins just came on the
embroidery scene last year.  (Here's a business opportunity for some of you out
there.)
Realistically, the hoops used with sequins are limited to large hoops such as
the 17.25 X 11.75 inch and possibly also Fast Frames because they are so thin
and flat.  One must be aware of the limited sewing field due to the size of the
sequin sewing head.  Sorry but no sequins in the 5.85 in. hoop yet.
Also, this is a very mechanical device that utilizes a pneumatic air compressor
to run and is very precision specific.  If the needle isn't dead center of
every sequin every time, you will be required to make adjustments as necessary
or will have a tech visit you.  What this means is if your shop is a high
traffic shop, or your sewing dept. has a small work area (as is ours), you
might experience precision risks. (Bumping into device).
I believe only one size sequin is available at this time (5mm round).  However
plenty of colors and styles ARE available to choose from.
With all that goes into embroidering sequins, you should be prepared to at
least double your pricing to make it profitable.  Of course this will vary from
shop to shop and design to design.
At our shop, we are itching to get one.  However we presently have a steady
stream of business and to add something that requires more attention than we
can handle right now doesn't seem like a good business decision.  Now, when we
get an Amaya for our house for weekends and nights to play,... watch out!!
I hope this has helped some of you as you move forward with your thoughts on
sequins.
Ed Orantes