[amayausers.com] Re: New User help needed - digitizing/sewing

  • From: webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 14:55:25 UT

This message was posted by Rod or Sharon on AmayaUsers.com. PLEASE DO NOT REPLY
http://www.amayausers.com/boards/ultimatebb.php?/topic/2/687.html#000008

Lowering or raising the presser foot really has nothing to do with the size of
the embroidery involved, lettering or otherwise.

The job of the presser foot is to hold the material down until the needle
breaks free of the material. It doesn't look like it, but that needle is
wedging itself in the material and without the presser foot holding it down
will raise the material with the needle stuck in it on it's upstroke. This is
called "flagging", and is not acceptable. It will also cause lots of thread
breaks.

The presser foot, on flats, needs to "compress" the material, i.e., things like
sweatshirts, sweaters, jackets, blankets, towels, etc.    Think of squeezing
the material between your thumb and forefinger taking all the poof/fluff/space
out of it. If you have the presser foot too low on sensitive garments such as
suede, velour, velvet, etc, then , the presser foot will beat the material and
leave a footprint....in these cases you have to find that happy medium between
holding the material down vs no footprint that is damaging the garment........

On caps, the same principle is involved. John is right. Some folks do diviate
from the raised needle plate, leaving the flat needle plate on thereby being
able to treat the material and the use of the presser foot just the same as if
you were sewing flats. I have tried this and it does work on the Big
Reds......I only gave you the original instructions in presser foot/needleplate
use.....I kind of figured ole John would come to my rescue and give you this
tip.... ;-)) Thanks John...

Rod Springer
Amaya Tech & Trainer