[amayausers.com] Re: Need business advice - new to embroidery

  • From: webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2008 13:30:09 UT

This message was posted by Steve on AmayaUsers.com. PLEASE DO NOT REPLY VIA
http://www.amayausers.com/boards/ultimatebb.php?/topic/2/461.html#000001

I really don't think anyone can your questions truthfully but you. I have been
doing embroidery part-time and work a full-time job. I have enough work during
the holiday season to do embroidery full-time but the rest of the year, the
business will not support me. If I start working 40 hours a week in my
full-time job and 40 hours a week for my business, then I need to pick one or
the other. But right now, I'm not busy enough 10 months a year to do just the
business. Everyone's situation is different but you said business is slow right
now. No work = no income.
Digitizing takes years to master and become an expert at it. I can not think of
anyone who supports thier family running just one machine. There just isn't
enough profit running just one machine. You certainly can't charge $30 for an
embroidered t-shirt, no one would buy it. Trade shows are a good idea to get
your name out there but you have the costs of a booth, display, moving the
equipment, etc. My parents did trade shows for many years and it is a pain the
butt setting up and taking down, not to mention they had $1000 in inventory and
still people asked for colors and stuff they didn't have.
You not want to hear this but I would suggest he keeps working until you can
get your business rolling and you both can support the family with it. At least
if the business fails, someone is working and you have an income.
Everyone is different but I know I'm not ready to tackle it full-time, I may
never do it full-time, who knows.