[amayausers.com] Re: Large Blank Patches

  • From: theboards@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 9 May 2009 15:41:58 UT

http://www.amayausers.com/boards/ultimatebb.php?/topic/4/536.html#000005

I do patches for local boy scouts all the time.
Start with a 'walk stitch' circle about 1/4" less in diameter than your patch.
40 pt stitch is fine-then a color change. Duplicate this outline again, with a
zigzag, 15 pt stitch, then a color break. Now digitize your design for whatever
you need to fit inside these outlines. Don't go for high density designs, too
much detail, or really fine fancy lettering-the patch is small, remember?
Send it off to the Amaya, and if you can figure out how to make it 'stop' after
each of the first 2 colors, set that up. I still have never figured it out-all
I get it to do is stop after each and every color change.
If you are doing a quantity of patches, tightly, and I mean really tight-hoop
up 2 pieces of 1.5 pz. tearaway. Load this 'hoop size' into the amaya, set the
hoop, and then move the hoop (use the arrows) to start a patch up in the top
left corner. Trace to make sure the presser foot clears the hoop-and have your
first patch ready.
Sew out the outline...stop the machine. Lay your patch down and center it on
this outline-I use 3/4" masking tape-2 pieces 'crossing' the patch and stick it
down. Sew the second outline, it will hold the patch down. Remember-this
outline color should match the patch background so it disappears. Stop, peel
off the masking tape-the outline should have 'cut'it nicely-and then start up
and let the patch run. When it's done, leave the patch alone-use the arrows and
'trace' to set up patch #2 as close as you can get to this one. Repeat
procedure...and then keep going to fill the hoop. If you tear the patches out
as done,your backing will get loose or just tear apart...trust me...been there,
done that. Just wait until the hoop is filled.
I can easily get a dozen 3" patches in one large wooden hoop-and have done the
'patrol' patches-which are 1 1/2" inchs across with a mascot and
lettering...looks great, just takes time setting up your design.