[amayausers] Re: Having trouble with Micro Fonts

  • From: webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 02:01:26 UT

This message was posted by levelbest on AmayaUsers.com. PLEASE DO NOT REPLY VIA
http://www.amayausers.com/boards/ultimatebb.php?/topic/2/24.html#000002

Trish:

I am guessing you already looked at the code sheets but if not take a look.
Tons of good stuff there - and while not the end all and be all, they are a
good start.

First - The big trick to small stuff is to  use a 65/9 needle and to use 60
weight thread (Madiera among others make it).  So, you are going with thinner
thread and a smaller needle.  We dedicate needles 15 and 16 to black and white
60 weight with the appropriate needles - so we don't have to keep changing it.

Second, make sure the type of needle you are using matches the material - sharp
or ballpoint.  If you are tearing, you might be using sharp on something you
should be using a ballpoint on.

Third, slow the machine down a little.

Forth - DO NOT ADD UNDERLAY.  Micro fonts already include it.  This again is
where the code sheet comes in handy.  This could add to the tearing - too many
stitches in too small an area.

Fifth - Decrease the density - ie. bump the number up (that always gets my
wife!)  Move the density up I say - she says, you want this more dense?  I say,
no less dense... whos on first...  and the Abott and Costello routine continues.

Sixth - Use good backing.  We use two sheets of 1.5 inch cut away.  I know you
can get away with one, but in our experience, building a good foundation always
helps.

Seventh - Consider using solvy.  We don't but some folks on the list swear by
it.

Last - If one Micro isn't working for you, try another - and give ALL CAPS a
shot for small lettering or increase the size slightly to maybe .28.

Ok, that's all for now.  BTW, what font were you using.