[amayausers] Re: File Conversion

  • From: "Roland R. Irish III" <signman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 19:25:30 -0400

That's called a booby trap...I have gotten the same when a 'customer'
brings in 'his' file from another shop when ordering signs or shirts,
etc.-and the other 'shop' was 'asked' to GIVE him his 'own' file.
Since they know they have lost the sale, they 'booby' trap the file
since the customer doesn't have a clue what it is. That way they
cause 'hate and discontent' with the shop that stole the business.
Have to admit, I've done the same-when my invoices state 'all
computer files are proprietary to (me)' and a few clients have
outright insisted THEY have to have 'all' the artwork they gave me to
begin with. I have a few obsolete programs I still use that I know no
one else has-its great when 'the other guy' is using PC and not mac.
Dump a file on a disk that I know is useless to him, but is still
working for me and I have taken care of the problem. Actually had a
shop call me up and demand the vector file so THEY could undercut me
on a truck job! Told THEM to spend the rest of the day rebuilding it
from a fax copy like I did!
As for embroidery, have had 'contract' jobs years ago where we
automatically got 'the disk' when the job was done-but never found
another shop that could use it! Geez, they just HAVE to get that
digitizing charge for every job, don't they!
Roland