[amayausers] Re: Extended Warranty

  • From: "Roland R. Irish III" <signman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 08:26:05 -0400

What has saved us some aggrevation (okay, Jeff, this is hardware...not
software) was the training last November on machine maintainence in NJ with
John Dekovic....he went over and over and over from start to finish for ALL
the periodic schedules and how to spot problems. When we've had some issues,
we were familiar enough with the 'parts' to go over things on the phone with
a tech-and fix them ourselves! Biggest issue is not ENOUGH oiling and
greasing....suggested by several to ignore the 'schedule' and do it more
often, depending on what's happening! A high stitch count run-30,000, even
67,000 using the same 3 or 4 needles-that ended up next to each other in
sequence-meant the 'felt' or whatever that was saturated with oil was
heating up and the oil evaporating....so those needle bars started really
getting noisy, then one needle stopped completely-it seized up. Completely
over the phone, the tech had us describe the noise and what happened-we
started oiling, enough to get it moving-he heard the noise-and knew what we
had to do! Extra oiling every 2 or 3 garments got us through-then we learned
not have the 'same' needles running on every job! Switch the 'basic' color
cones around-spread the wear out! And oil when it starts to SOUND like it
needs it! Runs quiet and fine now-not a single problem! But we would still
have a warranty as back up-get the warranty, AND the maintainence training!
Well worth it!
Roland

From: "Itchin To Stitch" <itchin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 17:24:30 -0500
To: "Amaya User Group" <amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [amayausers] Extended Warranty

I talked with DiAnn at Melco on Friday about the extended warranty and she's
sending info out. I would be very leary about paying $100 month if the
warranty doesn't cover much. I like the idea of putting the $100 per month
away as an emergency fund but in reality how many of us would be diligent
about doing so? I think preventative maintenance is really important in
maybe preventing some of the nasty repairs although I know some Amaya owners
that would disagree. The one thing that really frustrates me is the location
of techs. Last time I checked there was no one in MN and the tech I had this
spring came from Dyersville, IA which is quite a distance for someone to
drive in one day. Perhaps Melco should encourage more owners to take the
tech training, it would be nice to have at least one in every state. I'm
technically challenged (just ask my groom!) or I'd consider taking the
training. I'm really glad I have another month to consider my options and
I'm sure I'll still have a hard time deciding what to do!
Wendy Solomonson
Itchin' To Stitch
Arlington, MN
(507)964-2224