[amayausers.com] Re: Expanding my business

  • From: webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 19:53:17 UT

This message was posted by Body Cover on AmayaUsers.com. PLEASE DO NOT REPLY
http://www.amayausers.com/boards/ultimatebb.php?/topic/2/285.html#000008

Can't resist chiming in also. As a Screenprinter for the last 19 years I agree
with all that has been said, I got tired of subbing out our Embroidery which is
why I got involved but, as far as screenprinting goes, it is messy it does take
a lot of equipment (to do right) and it takes space. but MOST of all it is a
physical work that isn't something everything can do, it requires upper arm
strength and a good strong grip. I am not saying you can't do it without these
things, but if you are standing in front of a press for a few hours and you are
pulling a squeegee, you are going to feel it. Not to mention the process
contains at least 15 to 20 steps or so along the way. and to be competitive you
are going to work off of margins that are very small compared to embroidery
only. I suggest like has been said and find a good local printer that can make
your deadlines. (trust me its something to check out) and then be satisfied to
mark up the shirts and send them to your printer and
  mark up the print an extra dollar or so a shirt and be happy to make a profit
while doing no work. If you charge a lot more than this you will be providing a
service for your customer and making things easier with one stop shopping but
if they start checking prices then you will quickly find yourself out of the
market in regards to pricing. you have less conrol as far as scheduling and how
to handle problems that arise, but you also have less headaches and a good
printer can work with you on deadlines and changes. the NEw inkjet technology
(T-Jets and others) are a great small run alternative but also require a
learning curve and a lot of supplies, not to mention a good grasp of graphic
design.
Anyway, Good Luck with your success.
Ron