[amayausers.com] Re: Expanding my business

  • From: webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2007 14:36:02 UT

http://www.amayausers.com/boards/ultimatebb.php?/topic/2/285.html#000006

Here's my 2¢ worth...I went the opposite route. Started with teeshirt transfers
and a heat press, 30 years ago...moved into screenprinting, then sign making
and engraving...dropped the transfers for direct screening...then with the sign
making found the vinyl cutter also did heat transfer vinyls so back came the
heat press. Then the embroidery, then digital printing/die cutting.
With the digital printer (Roland Versacamm) I can do full color die cut iron on
decals-and now I can combine screenprinting with embroidery, embroidery with
iron on, etc.
I've done sublimation-and don't go by the 'advertising'...you can sublimate on
almost ALL products-any textile with 50% or more poly blend takes sublimation
great-but only the whites or very light colors. Your sublimation 'ink' is
transparent-so if you sublimate on colored items the design colors will go
crazy. On 100% canvas tote bags-there ARE sublimation inks that will work but
your normal run of the press sublimation inks won't adhere (sublimate)
properly. I've sublimated on clothing, textiles, aluminum plates,
plastic...sometimes just to play around and see what takes it and what doesn't.
The diecut and/or digital print iron vinyls make the biggest bucks per
shirt-you can add 'football number' and the name over it on the back of a
sweatshirt, for example-and get $15-$20 PER SHIRT above and beyond the cost of
the shirt. A good parent support group can get tons of orders for you-set up a
fund raising deal with them. Full 'retail' price of individual custom shirts,
the group gets $5 of each shirt (ordered AND PAID IN ADVANCE) and you do the
product. NO investment for them, good business for you.
For screenprinting-figure $5,000 bare bones minimum and 500 sq. feet of space
needed, along with 'blackout' or darkroom, wash out sink, chemical (ink
washout) sink, and more. So much easier to find a small screenprinter that will
do the jobs for you and allow you 25% commission or so.
Keeps me busy doing a couple orders a month from other Amaya owners around the
country!
Roland