[amayausers.com] Re: Amaya for Sale

  • From: webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 16:40:25 UT

This message was posted by Steve on AmayaUsers.com. PLEASE DO NOT REPLY VIA
http://www.amayausers.com/boards/ultimatebb.php?/topic/6/47.html#000013

I have seen a lot of embroidery businesses come and go in the 16 years I have
been doing embroidery. One main reason is people go spend $20k on a machine and
software, new computer and monitor, quit their job, spend several thousand more
on retail shop, inventory, and fixtures. Before they know it, they are up to
$50k. Hire a salesperson, and have bills coming in. They are way over their
head so they charge $40 for a polo to make up for it and wonder why they can't
sell anything so they have to close shop.

My parents started off in their house part-time and so do I. I bought my
machine used (I knew what machine and software to buy due to my previous
experience.) At least I have full-time job with benefits so if the business
fails, I have something to fall back on plus I'm not out much money since the
machine was used. If I loose my full-time job, I have the business for some
income. So far I have no plans to get rid of the embroidery business as things
are going well for me. I have been saving for a second used machine (hopefully
get it summer next year) so I'm not working 90 hours a week during the holidays.

I guess my point is, don't quit your full-time job until you are ready to
tackle embroidery full-time. Some people have been successful by going
full-time right away but many fail.