[amayausers.com] Re: Amaya OS 9 bug?

  • From: theboards@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 21:25:05 UT

This message was posted by levelbest on AmayaUsers.com. PLEASE DO NOT REPLY VIA
http://www.amayausers.com/boards/ultimatebb.php?/topic/3/396.html#000010

Roland:

Here's what I think you should do.  I know you aren't big about putting the
machine on the net however...

Once every few months connect it.

Do not bring up a browser, email or any other program that hits the net.

Merely launch DS and AOS - do a check for updates.  Download any updates.
Remove network cable from machine.

If you are behind a router (which I believe you are) and if you are at least
running windows firewall and defender, you should be ok.  Would also recommend
at least having something like AVAST or AVG Free Antivirus installed.  This
fall, Microsoft will have a free AV solution as well which should be fine for
basic protection.

The other thing is - you REALLY should be updating the operating system
periodically.  If you are running vista, you can do this without even launching
a browser by checking the control panel > system maitnence > windows update.

Without doing that - your machine will not be up to date, and you won't be able
to take advantage of patches for security and performance updates.

Bottom line is if you aren't browsing on the machine, and you take the further
step of disconnecting your computer from the network when not doing updates,
your chance of getting infected (provided you keep the operating system up to
date) are next to nothing.

The advantage of connecting once and a while for OS/DS updates and Windows
Updates are worth it.

Anyway, like Rod said - you can get your updates via CD from melco, but it's
inconvenient and will cost you a few bucks.