[amayausers] Amaya

There is an Amaya user's group out there that I suggest you join. The group
has members that can share all the good and bad that has come up with the
Amaya. You can get an idea from a much larger group of users that way. I'm
copying this message to the group in the hopes that the group manager will
contact you directly with instructions on how to join.

I'm a walking advertisement for Melco. I absolutely love my Amaya. It's a
perfect size, runs quietly (relative to the other machines I've seen), and
now that I'm perfecting my hooping has relatively few thread breaks (those
first few designs were a real mess, though). Training was very useful and
my trainer was very accommodating, too. I'm a complete newcomer to the
embroidery world and the transition has been pretty painless.

I haven't had any cause to call for service, and my self maintenance
requirements seem to be pretty easy. My husband and I compared the sound
levels to other machines and both agreed independently that the Amaya was
the quietest operating. I don't seem to see that much vibration with mine,
and the latest OS has it running even smoother.

I have had trouble with thread breaks, but each time have traced it back to
my digitizing or my hooping. Not having experience with other industrial
embroidery machines in anything other than a display environment, I can't
say if it's more sensitive to these things or not. I do use stock designs
and have found that I need to edit them a bit for pull. Much of the work I
do is custom and requires my digitizing a design.

That said, even when the design is "bullet proof" I can get a whole series
of shirts out with no thread breaks if the design is hooped properly. I
just did 30 shirts with a pseudo patch style design and only one thread
break. Once you go to the training and change some of the factory default
settings, the Amaya should breeze through just about anything.

I find the cart to be very handy. I store my cap driver underneath, and
keep bobbins and other little tools on the tray. It's just the right height
for me to sit next to the machine and watch something stitch out without
switching from the computer (I'm a one machine shop in the home, so space
is limited). Most of the packages Melco offers includes the cart and it
makes moving the machine around incredibly easy since it has lockable wheels.

I hope this helps.
Connie Bechtel
Wyvern Productions