[amayausers.com] Re: 6 panel hats

  • From: theboards@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2009 13:14:22 UT

http://www.amayausers.com/boards/ultimatebb.php?/topic/2/976.html#000009

Density...what's the density of the sewing on the center seam? Hat's must be
digitized differently than shirts and flat sewing. The center seam on some hats
can be 6 layers of cloth thick-take a look at them. You have the folded over
edge of each panel (that's 2)plus a doubled bias tape under that (2 more) and
then a 'cover strip' to keep the seam from irritating your forehead, doubled up
to hide the edges-another 2! We've taken some apart to check. Lettering on hats
has to be less dense (instead of 4.5 for example, try 6.5) with less or no
underlayment. Short stitches off, minimum width 10. Sewing has to be from the
bottom (brim) UP, and 'center' out. We gave up on the WACF hoops and went with
just CCF on our Big Red and got much better results. Pressor foot down to the
panel and back 1 click-leave the plain needle plate on-don't change it. (THAT
made a big difference to us!)
Sharp needles, slow speed, and magnetic bobbins kept the breaks down. Some
designs-with a high density center logo-just are the worst thing to try on a 6
panel but with enough tweaking it can work! We found that the 'better quality
hats' were the worst ones to sew on because of the extra layers down the
seam-flexfit hats-customers love them-the Amaya hates them.
There's a couple folks here that specialize in hats-hopefully one of them will
jump in to give you some help!