[accmemberdiscussion] What To Do if Animal Control Comes Knocking

If this has appeared here before, but it's worth repeating.  Brenda

Go here and print out What To Do When Animal Control Comes Knocking.
 <http://idahobrittany.org/AnimalControl%5B1%5D.pdf>
http://idahobrittany.org/AnimalControl%5B1%5D.pdf This is something
every one of us should have printed out and hung somewhere that we can
see it on occasion. It is by an lawyer in California so, while it's a
great place to start, it's something that you really should check over
with a lawyer in your own state. Find out what else you can do before
they come knocking.

I am not a lawyer, so take this for what it's worth. I have read
several good answers here and I think you should definitely get the
answers to many of the questions others have raised such as has your
property been annexed to the city, have there been recent changes in
ordinances, has your property been rezoned without your knowledge, etc.

Having done all that so that you're as ready as you can be on that
front, besides having a lawyer on standby for a call if you can, do you
have a couple three friends who can come over, with cameras in hand (at
least 1 video camera would be great). Others here have stated that when
the raid happened, the officers held them back from going to their
animals. If you have some friends there, they probably won't be allowed
to get involved, but as the raiders start to split up and go their
separate ways about your property, perhaps your friends can also split
up and follow different groups, taking photos, video or maybe even audio
recordings as long as they don't interfere.

Also, I haven't seen this mentioned, but if they have a warrant for one
thing, and in executing that warrant, they see something in plain sight,
they can use that to expand the search. Put any diaries, calendars,
memo pads etc out of plain sight and in someplace that would be very
unlikely to be searched in conjunction with the animals. For instance,
if they were coming to look at my animals and what their living spaces
are like, I certainly wouldn't expect to see them going through my
nightstand drawer. Perhaps if what they are there to inspect is the
premises, you can get the animals off the property before hand or if
what they want is to see the animals, you can take the animals to them
for inspection at *your* vets office. Maybe you can work something out
with your vet to bring them over tomorrow night and pick them up
afterward, just in case.

If you're sure of your facts regarding zoning, numbers and permits, ask
them to give you copies of whatever proof they have to the contrary.

One last thing, at the very least, ask an attorney if you have the right
to tell them that Monday is not a good day for you and give them an
alternate day and time. Even with the IRS the taxpayers have the right
to say that a day or time or even the location is not convenient and
request that it be changed and they have the right to record the entire
meeting beginning with the location, day time and who is present and in
what capacity.

Good luck.