[accmemberdiscussion] Time to Call the Feds? | HumaneWatch

  • From: Baba Monk <babamonk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: accmemberdiscussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 16:22:58 -0600

SEARCH
HumaneWatch
Document Library
Organizations
People
Contact
Anonymous Dropbox
Store
Pet Shelters
JAN 27 2011

Time to Call the Feds?
As Chicagoans are discovering this week, Illinois politics is full of
surprises. And we just got one of our own.

State Rep. Jim Sacia (R-89th) writes a weekly column for his constituents in
Illinois’ northwest corner, and today’s edition is an eye-opener. Here’s a
little bit of what Sacia has to say about the Humane Society of the United
States:

My blood boils when I see you, the consumer, bilked out of your hard earned
money by appealing to your sense of compassion and kindness. No one wants to
see an animal starved and we all get a good feeling sending that money to such
a noble cause. What a travesty!

The good news is the IRS has been investigating HSUS for over two years.
Compounding the problem of completing their investigation, the IRS has never
had to deal with allegations of tax fraud by a “public charity” as large and as
complex as the HSUS.

You can help. Contact the United States Treasury Inspector General at
800-366-4484 (press 5) and respectfully request that case number 55-1005-0025-C
be brought to conclusion.

Click here to read the full column. And if you think HSUS’s financial
malfeasance warrants government action, feel free to follow Rep. Sacia’s advice
and contact the U.S. Treasury Department.

Posted on 01/27/2011 at 01:55 PM by the HumaneWatch Team
Fundraising & Money • Gov't, Lobbying, Politics • (5) Comments
Share
343

Comments
I sincerely hope they get something done about the dishonesty going on!!!  It
is about time someone investigated them.

Posted by Linda on 01/27 at 03:08 PM
They’ve been under investigation for two years. The mills of government grind
slow, especially when the issue is a huge non-profit with so much government
support, and when they have plenty of money to hire attorneys (ABA is also an
AR supporter) to fight it. And we should bear in mind that the platoon of
lawyers they have on staff isn’t doing that; they are paying outside attorneys
to fight this and the various lawsuits they are facing.

That’s more money out of animal lovers’ pockets which is doing nothing useful
for animals.

Make the calls. Without all the pressure we can bring on this issue, they can
probably keep it in court into the next century.

Posted by Lynn on 01/27 at 03:52 PM
So glad to know that “someone” is on top of this!  I contribute both funds and
food to my local “non-kill” shelter that I have adopted through several times.
When my neighbor told me that she had made a contribution prior to the end of
2010 and I told her that less than 1% of the funds received by them go to
shelters she was extremely insulted.  Just wait!

Posted by Joann Leaming on 01/27 at 04:07 PM
The project was started by Frank Losey, Col, USAF Retired as part of the
Sportsmen’s & Animal Owners’ Voting Alliance
(http://www.saova.org/SpayNeuterHSUS.html). It is called the Spay and Neuter
HSUS project.

Posted by KeithC on 01/27 at 04:23 PM
@KeithC—In all fairness, the IRS’s interest predates Frank’s project. But we’re
grateful for his involvement and his tenacity. We interviewed him last year.
See
http://humanewatch.org/index.php/site/post/the_humanewatch_interview_frank_losey/

Posted by David on 01/27 at 04:29 PM
Comments are moderated, and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and
not abusive. Extremely lengthy comments and those that contain obscenities may
be edited before they are posted.

Name:

Email: (will not be displayed)

Location:

 Remember my personal information

 Notify me of follow-up comments?

Previous entry: Makin’ (Macon) the Rounds in Georgia

« Back to blog homepage

About
HumaneWatch
Best of HumaneWatch
 RSS

 Twitter

 Facebook

Get Daily Updates via E-mail

New Library Additions
1990 HSUS Fundraising Leaflet: “Rights For Animals”
HSUS Freedom of Information Act Requests to the USDA, 2010
2011 “HSUS State Directors” Map
HSUS Consolidated Financial Statements, dated December 31, 1994
Categories
The Best of HumaneWatch
Announcements
Press Releases
News Summaries
Document Analysis
Audio & Video
Book Reviews
Flashbacks
Interviews
Liveblogging
Talkback
Animal Agriculture
Animal Fighting
Celebrities
Circuses
Courtroom Drama
Dairy
Disasters
Eggs
Fundraising & Money
Fur & Fashion
Gov't, Lobbying, Politics
History
Horses
Humane Education
Hunting & Fishing
Meat
Medical Research
Pets
Rodeos
Veterinarians
Wildlife
Zoos & Aquariums
Most Recent Articles
Time to Call the Feds?
Makin’ (Macon) the Rounds in Georgia
Pet Sheltering’s Sixty-Four Million Dollar Question,  and HSUS’s Wrong Answer
HSUS’s “Spay Day”: Half the Results, and Lots More Fundraising!
HSUS: Animal “Rights” Means Letting Animals Sue You
A Letter from an Egg Farmer
Happy Retirement, Bob!
A Little Sunshine
Monthly Archives
January 2011
December 2010
November 2010
October 2010
September 2010
August 2010
July 2010
June 2010
May 2010
April 2010
March 2010
February 2010
Complete Archives
Recommended Reading
ActivistCash
Center for Consumer Freedom
United Horsemen’s Front
Got Milk?
Animal Research Timeline
Circus Fans Association
see all…
SITE MAP

About HumaneWatchAnonymous DropboxContactPrivacy Policy
All content © 2011 Center for Consumer Freedom

HumaneWatch (just like every pet shelter in America) is not affiliated with the
Humane Society of the United States. Any confusion related to perceived
similarities is unintentional.