[accessibleimage] Re: proposes solutions to us currency access problem

sylvie, thanks very much for your excellent short summary of the issue of
access to currency in the US. I don't know much about the technical problems
what could result from even doing something so seemingly simple as adding
tactile markings to bills. I imagine that some machines, like the ones they
use to count money, could have a problem with any marking that changes the
thickness of the bills, especially if that mark occurs in the same place on
all bills.  I know from our work in manufacturing tactile pictures, that
when you have a large stack of tactile sheets that all have the same
markings, that the stack gets higher in the place where the marks occur.
This could cause jams, etc. Maybe the mark would have to happen in a random
place, so that a pile of money would stay more or less flat; I wonder what a
randomly-placed mark, however, would do to either make it easier or harder
to detect counterfeits....