[accessibleimage] Re: proposes solutions to us currency access problem

Sylvia,
The solutions you wrote about sound very good.
I was thinking there might be also a transition stage - the time when old bills are still around before going over to accessible bills and
that there might be a way to make old bills accessible before they are taken out of circulation.
What if banks had embossing equipment so when ever an "old" bill comes in it is run through an embosser and a embossed mark
is placed on it?
Best,
Lisa

accessibleimage@xxxxxxxxxxxxx skrev 27. mai 2008 kl. 09:26 +0000:
This issue is being debated among disability advocates from the two main
organizations of the blind, the American Council of the Blind and the
National Federation of the Blind.

I think it is very appropriate for tactile designers to also give it serious
consideration.

Those who haven't been keeping up with these debates should be aware that
the majority of legally blind people in wealthy countries are older adults,
and I very much doubt
if most of them are members of any Blindness organization. Most teachers and
counselors I know of who work with older people who have lost vision as
adults are told again and again by the majority of these people that they
would love to once again be able to quickly identify their money on their
own, so as to maintain some degree of independence and dignity in stores, on
public transit, in taxis, and in restaurants, etc. Credit-debit cards can't
be used everywhere; for example, they can't be used on many public transit
bus systems. and some older people don't feel comfortable using them anyway.

Most people with low vision, and all blind people, are unable to
distinguish one denomination of American paper money from another. Blind
people must ask sighted people for help in order to count and sort their
bills. Some may be able to afford and feel comfortable with machines that
can identify the denominations and speak the values out loud. But, many
people, especially older people who have lost vision as adults,  cannot
afford to buy such machines, or they feel uncomfortable using them, and
these machines make many nervous in check-out lines, where they slow things
down a bit.

In the United States, visual impairment is the third most common chronic
condition, after arthritis and heart disease, among the elderly.

It is noteworthy that 17% of
adults aged 65 through 74 and 26% of those aged 75 and older have some form
of visual impairment (Lighthouse International, 2003).

We should also keep in mind that the United States is constantly replacing
worn-out currency.  Altering the size and design of denominations of bills
above the one-dollar bill would cost something like 5 percent of what the
government has spent on producing currency in the past decade.

The Treasury spent a considerable amount of money redesigning our currency
in 1996 and 2004. But, both times they basically ignored recommendations
presented by a 1995 National Academy of Sciences report that recommended
making changes that would facilitate identification of different
denominations by touch.

As a matter of fact, the United States had paper currency that varied in
size before 1929. It began producing all denominations of bills in the
same-size in 1929.  All other countries with paper currency vary the bills
in size according to denomination or include other features that help  all
people, sighted and nonsighted, in distinguishing between different
denominations of bills. Some add embossed dots, some have raised ink or
foil.
In Europe, for example, the Euro varies in size: the greater the value of
the bill, the greater the length. Each bill also has a raised number and
foil perceptible to touch, which not only helps those people who are blind
but is considered a security feature to prevent counterfeiting. In Japan,
the denominations each have a different geometric watermark shape in the
corner. Canadian bills have a different set of raised symbols. For example,
the $5 note has one raised symbol; the $10 note has two symbols.

Okay, tactile designers, let's work on some ideas for what the U.S. bills
could have!

Best regards,

Sylvie