[accessibleimage] Re: Tactile arrows

  • From: "Suzanne M. van den Bercken" <SMvdBercken@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: accessibleimage@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 23:15:20 +0100

I must say I have seen the symbols John Gardner talks about on several maps=
 and worked with ViewPlus during my internship and I find the symbols clear=
 and indeed very intuitive. You simply know it is a staircase by touching=
 the symbol and you immediately know in what direction it goes up or down.=
 Same goes for the escalators. The only thing you need to learn is the=
 difference between the two symbols, so you know which one is stairs and=
 moving stairs.

I have been working with blind people in map reading a lot and my=
 experience is that these symbols providing 3 levels of height are most=
 intuitive and comprehensible for the reader. It is possible to create=
 these symbols with thermoform easily and with some exercise even with=
 swell paper and hand drawing.

Suzanne M. van den Bercken

E-mail to: SMvdBercken@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
On MSN: SMvdBercken@xxxxxxxxxxxxx