[accessibleimage] Re: Tactile arrows

Hi Don.  We have developed some really neat symbols for stairs and
escalators for Tiger embossing.  Generally we use three levels, high,
medium, low, for the steps and find them to be quite intuitive for the
direction of the up/down direction.  There is a line serving to "block" the
stair or escalator on the end that is accessible from the floor above or
below the one being mapped.  The end accessible from the floor being mapped
is open for stairs and has an arrowhead point in or out for
escalators.  We've done only anecdotal testing, largely of atendees at
meetings for which we've made the floor maps.  Everybody finds them quite
intuitive despite the fact that they are very compact.  One can make such
symbols with any technology permitting different heights.

John

At 06:11 AM 3/1/2005, you wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I was wondering what experience people had with arrows (or stair symbols) on
>tactile diagrams?
>For example, as anyone found any shape, design or size of arrow to be
>superior to others?
>We are trying a 'saw-tooth' arrow.  Put simply, this a line that feels rough
>in one direction and smooth in the other, hopefully indicating direction.
>Has anyone had experience with this?
>
>Regards
>
>Don
>
>Don McCallum
>Anglia Polytechnic University
>d.j.mccallum@xxxxxxxxx
>www.timp.org.uk

John A. Gardner
Professor and Director, Science Access Project
Department of Physics
Oregon State University
Corvallis, OR 97331
tel: (541) 737 3278