From: "Bob Rankin" <bob@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <TOURBUS@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, September 11, 2004 11:10 AM
Subject: TOURBUS - 10 Sep 04 - ASCII Art

           TOURBUS Volume 10, Number 12 -- 10 September 2004
  [ For best results view this with a monospace font like
Courier. ]
    _________ ____________ ________ __________ _____________
___ _
   /         |            /        |          |
/   | \
  |    SIX YEAR ANNIVERSARY JAMBOREE SPECIAL: InkJetsRus
/    |  \

|__________|__________/__________|__________|___________/_____|
\

/
|----\
|  Just when you thought it couldn't get any better, hang on
to |////|
|  your hat!  We are NOW offering you "3 for the price of 1"
on |////|
|  all NEW equivalent EPSON and CANON Inkjet Cartridges.
Prices |////|
|  from $6.75 for 3 black and $10.50 for 3
color.               |////|

|////|
|         ---> http://www.InkJetsRus.net/tourbus
<---           |////|
|  NEW FREE CANON PRINTER.  Three Models to Choose. Phone
toll  |////|
|       free for details 888-429-9373 (M-F 8:30 to
5:00)        |////|
\_______________________________________________________________|____|
      /   \  /
\                                             /   \
      \___/  \___/  T h e   I n t e r n e t   T o u r B u
s    \___/
         Visit the Tourbus Home Page at
http://www.TOURBUS.com !

                TODAY'S TOURBUS TOPIC: ASCII Art

I like the idea of delivering high tech stuff in a low tech
medium.
That's why TOURBUS is delivered in ASCII (plain text)
format.  Aside
from being immune to viruses, worms and web bugs, it's also
the way
Al Gore intended email to be.  Perhaps that's why ASCII
artwork is
one of my all-time favorite computer topics.

+---------- Closing More Sales By Asking Better Questions
----------+

    "BEST MATERIAL I've ever read on the subject of asking
    questions to find problems and close sales."  - Heath
Bedal,
    President, Pinnacle Sales, Inc.

 Learn how to ask great questions so you can quickly
identify
 who IS and who ISN'T a prospect.  Now you can spend more
time
 with buyers and less time with those who aren't.  Click
here
 to order "Closing More Sales."  FREE Sales Newsletter.
 http://SucceedingInBusiness.com/Tourbus-cms.htm

-------------------------------
 PRELUDE - THAT HIDEOUS JUMBLE
-------------------------------

I should mention before we go much further that this entire
issue
will look horrible if you use Microsoft Outlook, AOL or most
any
other email reader that defaults to a proportional display
font,
wherein some characters take up less space than others. You
can fix
this problem by setting your email font to Courier or any
other
monospace font (in which all characters are of equal
widths). In
Outlook Express, click on Tools/Options/Read/Fonts, then
select
Courier New for the Proportional font.  If you use a
different email
program, poke around in the options, you'll find it.  If all
else
fails, copy the text and paste it into your favorite word
processor,
then set the font to Courier.

If you succeeded in fixing your font, you're probably saying
"Wow,
that thing at the beginning of all the TOURBUS emails is a
tour bus!"
Cool, huh?  :-)

----------------------------
 BACK IN THE DAYS OF OLD...
----------------------------

Long before the advent of the Web and all of its glittering
graphics,
people were creating computer graphics of a different sort
that
required no special hardware or software to view.  This
"ASCII art"
can be sent by e-mail without encoding or attachments
because it's
composed only of plain text characters.

The term ASCII refers to a standard set of characters that
are
supposed to display the same on any computer.  ASCII art is
a unique
form of expression ranging from the simple to the very
complex.
Using only the characters on your keyboard and some
creativity, you
can create images that are cute, funny or intricately
beautiful.

---------
 SMILIES
---------

Smilies, sometimes called emoticons, are the most basic form
of ASCII
art.  Smilies are textual representations of emotions that
people
commonly use in their e-mail.  They're one way to express
feelings in
the otherwise emotionless world of e-mail. When you see a
bunch of
dashes, parentheses, and other punctuation marks that don't
seem to
make sense, try turning your head sideways.  Smileys like
the ones in
the list below, are great ways to overcome the impersonal
nature of
the electronic medium.

:-)     Smile
;-)     Wink
:-(     Frown

These are the most common smilies, but there are dozens
more.  You can
find a large collection on the web at

   http://members.aol.com/bearpage/smileys.htm

or get check out the Unofficial Smiley FAQ at

   http://www.newbie.net/SmileyFAQ/index.html

----------------------
 COWS AND OTHER STUFF
----------------------

One favorite subject of the ASCII artists is animals.  Many
people use
them in e-mail or Usenet signature files just for fun.  The
eagle and
the cat below are classic examples.

     .---.        .----------
     /     \  __  /    ------
    / /     \(  )/    -----
   //////   ' \/ `   ---
  //// / // :    : ---
 // /   /  /`    '--
//          //..\\
       ====UU====UU====
           '//||\\`
             ''``
                        ("`-''-/").___..--''"`-._
                        `6_ 6  )   `-.  (     ).`-.__.`)
                        (_Y_.)'  ._   )  `._ `. ``-..-'
                      _..`--'_..-_/  /--'_.' ,'
                     (il),-''  (li),'  ((!.-'

There are also quite a few people who enjoy portraying cows
ala
keyboard.  I've seen some hilarious ASCII cows, like these
floating
around in cyberspace.

          (__)
          (oo)          When cows laugh really hard,
   /-------\/           does milk come out their nose?
  / |     ||
 *  ||w---||
    ^^    ^^
                (__)
                (oo)    Mathematical Cow
       /---------\/     (Developer of cow-culus)
      / | x=a(b)||
     *  ||------||
        ~~      ~~

If you need a good chuckle, visit David Bader's COMPLETE
GUIDE TO
COWS, which is a large collection of ASCII cows, dating back
to 1991.

   http://www.clasohm.com/cows/guide.html

---------
 FIGLETS
---------

A figlet is a way to make large letters out of ordinary
text.  A
program called FIGLET can use a variety of special effects
to create
text

| (_) | _____  | |_| |__ (_)___
| | | |/ / _ \ | __| '_ \| / __|
| | |   <  __/ | |_| | | | \__ \
|_|_|_|\_\___|  \__|_| |_|_|___/

  _   _     _   _   _   _
 / \ / \   / \ / \ / \ / \
( o | r ) ( t | h | i | s )
 \_/ \_/   \_/ \_/ \_/ \_/

You can learn all about figlets and create your own by
visiting

   http://www.figlet.org

------------------------
 ADVANCED ASCII ARTWORK
------------------------

       .      .'
          :`...' `.,'  '
      `.  ' .**.  ; ; ':
      ` ``:`****,'  .' :
    ..::.  ``**":.''   `.               The examples so far
have
  .:    `: ; `,'        :               been pretty basic,
but there
    `:    `   :         ;               are ASCII artists
who produce
      :   :   :        ;                some pretty amazing
images.
      :    :   :     .:
       :    :   :..,'  ``::.
        `....:..'  ..:;''
        .:   . ...::::                  This rose is just
one example
       ,'''''``:::::::                  of the work you can
sample
                 `::::                  at the Signature
Museum.
                   `::.
                    `::
             . ,.    ::::'      ,..
           .'.'  ``.  ::      .'.. `.
         '        .: ::    ,'.'     .
        .' ,'    .::::::   ,.'    .:::.
      .' .'  ..:'     ::: .,   .;'     ~
     ,;::;.::''        ::.:..::'
    ~                  ::;'
                       ::               The ASCII Art
section there
                     ,:::               has pages devoted to
                       ::.              Animals, Christmas,
Easter,
                        ::              Flora, Love. Misc,
Music
                        ::              and People.  Find it
at
                        ::

   http://www.mwpieter.dds.nl/sigs

--------------
 ASCII MOVIES
--------------

Roman Messmer in Switzerland has taken ASCII art to a whole
new
level -- ASCII Movies.  You'll enjoy watching scenes from
The Matrix,
Spiderman, The Terminator, Harry Potter, Nemo and others in
stunning
asciimation.

   http://www.romanm.ch

This next site is truly asciimazing.  It's a condensed
version of the
original Star Wars movie, done with ASCII animation. The
asciimation
is achieved by displaying frames of painstakingly composed
ASCII text
one after the other.  You MUST see this one (and of course
The Death
of Jar Jar.)

   http://www.asciimation.co.nz

-------------------------
 BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE
-------------------------

If you thought those were kind of nifty, you will be amazed
at the
ASCII images you can find at the address below.  Many of
them are in
COLOR and incredibly detailed.  Here's a sampling of what
you'll find:

   LG Beard's Weird Wonderful Wacky World of Ascii Art
   http://webpages.charter.net/lgbeard

   The Great ASCII Art Library
   http://www.geocities.com/SouthBeach/Marina/4942/ascii.htm

---------------
 ROLL YOUR OWN
---------------

Wanna learn more about ASCII art?  See the ASCII Art
Dictionary

   http://www.ascii-art.de

You'll find info on the various styles of ASCII art, how to
create
your own, and links to some other fun ASCII art pages.  Have
a little
fun with ASCII art.  It's a wonderfully rich, low-tech, and
very
accessible medium to express yourself!

/ _\ ___  ___  /\_/\___  _   _    / /  __ _| |_ ___ _ __  /
\
\ \ / _ \/ _ \ \_ _/ _ \| | | |  / /  / _` | __/ _ \ '__//
/
_\ \  __/  __/  / \ (_) | |_| | / /__| (_| | ||  __/ |  /\_/
\__/\___|\___|  \_/\___/ \__,_| \____/\__,_|\__\___|_|  \/

or sending magazines as a gift, MagazinePriceSearch.com can
help
you find the best price.  With over 2200 magazines tracked
from 20
top magazine merchants, you'll find the magazines you want
at the
best possible prices. Come see how much you can save!

          http://www.MagazinePriceSearch.com/?tourbus

That's all for now.  I'll see you next time!  --Bob Rankin

=====================[ Tourbus Rider Information
   The Internet Tourbus - U.S. Library of Congress ISSN
#1094-2238
     Copyright 1995-2004, Rankin & Crispen - All rights
reserved
      Subscribe, Signoff, Archives, Free Stuff and More at
the
              Tourbus Website - http://www.TOURBUS.com

// eompost 41432B8A:6B41.1:npprffvoyrvzntr