[accessibleimage] TGD vs. TTT

It is with much interest that I have been following the remarks of Dr. Don
Parkes regarding TGD vs. TTT.  I have long been a proponent of TGD,
although it is dismissed by many who prepare graphics masters for mass
production, as they say it doesn't present enough contrast in textures and
patterns.  It does, however, have an important place in the classroom,
especially since the introduction of its voice output feature; and that
has been my pitch in trying to justify purchasing it for my school
district.  Unfortunately, at present we have no braille reading students
in our regular education programs so it doesn't seem to be a high priority
at this time with the "powers that be."  I have also been introduced to
the features of the Talking Tactile Tablet.  Needless to say, it would be
advantageous to students to resolve the concerns at hand.  Patent issues
aside, vision impaired students need all the help they can get.

There is one thing I am truly perplexed about with reference to this
debate.  On her web site, Ms. Rosenblum states: "The Authoring Tool
project is being carried out under funding from the National Institute for
Disability and Rehabilitation Research, Office of Special Education and
Rehabilitative Services of the United States Department of Education."

If there are valid patent concerns--and it seems apparent that there
are--then why has funding been approved for this project on such a high
national level?