[accessibleimage] Ngram Viewer - Google search tool

  • From: Lisa Yayla <Lisa.Yayla@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'accessibleimage@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <accessibleimage@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, 'Art Beyond Sight Theory and Research' <art_beyond_sight_theory_and_research@xxxxxxxxxx>, 'Art Beyond Sight Learning Tools' <art_beyond_sight_learning_tools@xxxxxxxxxx>, 'Art Beyond Sight Advocacy' <art_beyond_sight_advocacy@xxxxxxxxxx>, Access to Art Museums <artbeyondsightmuseums@xxxxxxxxxx>, 'Art Beyond Sight Educators List' <art_beyond_sight_educators@xxxxxxxxxx>, Alternate Media <altmedia@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2011 10:07:20 +0200

Google has a very interesting tool which I think a lot of you might like and
find useful.
It is called Google Books Ngram Viewer and the result can be  a cornucopia of
literature. With
Ngram you enter a phrase or two and Google does the search with a resulting
graph of the
occurrence of the phrase(s) from say 1800 to 2000. Once you have the result you
can click
on a time period and Google shows the books, articles that it came up with.

The first thing I did when I read about Ngram was to enter the term "tactile
graphics" for the period 1800 to 2000. The result
was interesting - the curve started at 1980 slowing sloping upwards to 1990
where it shoots up like a church spire.

Next I entered the phrase blind painter for the same period - really neat!  The
results will probably need some sifting
through so if not the mother-load a rich source.

Google Ngram Viewer

-Scanned by Exchange Hosted Services-