[accessibleimage] Mental synthesis of images

Sylvie , et al,

In your last message, you mentioned "seeing print characters in your mind's
eye" in association with literacy.  I also lost my vision later in life (age
35-36 was the last time I could read a massively magnified and contrast
enhanced computer screen).  A few years ago, Oliver Sax published an article
in the New Yorker which described synaesthesia in blind people who lost
their vision later in life.  He described, in detail, how some blind people
have been able to train themselves to use their visual cortex to synthesize
images which they can then manipulate in their mind.  I was skeptical as
Oliver, a wonderful writer, has the tendency to find bizarre cases to
include in his essays.  So, I did a search and found that there is actually
a bit of research in this area.  I decided to give it a whirl and try to
generate images in my own mind's eye.

I've been practicing this skill for about 2.5 years.  I have been able to
generate wire frame drawings of 3D objects and manipulate them (stretching,
zooming in and out, etc.).  I have also found that, while playing Shades of
Doom, I can generate very realistic images while listening to a 3D audio
interface.  I have also been quite able to conjure up images of some of my
favorite paintings and photographs.

Last night, while listening to Studio 360, I heard the guest mention Edward
Hopper.  I had the wonderful opportunity about 25 years ago to spend time in
the Middlebury College art museum absolutely alone (accept for the security
guy) with a large number of Hopper works.  Last night, as I thought of the
name of a painting, I was able to generate, from memory, a very detailed
visual image of a number of his works.  I have been able to do the same with
other artists and photographers like Eugene Smith and Paul Strand.

Also, when using John's AGC, I can create very detailed images of the graph.
I've also been able to rotate it, stretch it and change its color.

Other than the book, "The man Who Could Taste Shapes" does anyone else have
sources on this topic?  Does anyone think that people can be trained to use
this potential skill productively?

Enjoy,
cdh