[accessibleimage] Re: Is the PDF format acceptable as an assistive technology

Before it was published, I reviewed:
http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/WCAG-PDF-TECHS-20010913/
It's pretty comprehensive not only providing checking info but also development
info.  you may find it helpful.  This work is going on all the time and I'm
sure that when things change, they will be reflected here.  Anyone who can make
a contribution to this and other efforts are welcomed.

On Jan 29, 2012, at 5:01 PM, Vince Thacker wrote:

I'm all too familiar with the frustrations of trying to read some PDF files,
which are a very variable commodity.

If there isn't one already, doesn't there need to be some kind of accessibility
standard so that PDFs can be rated for accessibility level in the way that web
pages sometimes are.

This wouldn't have the force of law, but could legitimately provide evidence
for comments, complaints and even court action.

The problem isn't, I believe, the PDF format per se, but the level of skill and
commitment of people who produce the files.

The problem might be deciding who sets and maintains the standards, as while
there are bodies such as W3C who provide guidelines on the writing of HTML and
related formats, it might be more difficult to deal with a format that belongs
to a corporation such as Adobe.

Vince.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Kaizen Program" <kaizen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>