[accessibleimage] Re: Fw: Fw: Sight Reading of Braille Music

This infomercial was brought to you by ...

C'mon guys cut the adverts please, or at least don't make it so obvious.

Alan

From: accessibleimage-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:accessibleimage-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Robert
Jaquiss
Sent: Wednesday, 10 December 2008 9:10 AM
To: accessibleimage@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [accessibleimage] Fw: Fw: Sight Reading of Braille Music

----- Original Message -----

From: billlist1@xxxxxxxxxxx

To: Robert Jaquiss <mailto:rjaquiss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Sent: Tuesday, December 09, 2008 4:07 PM

Subject: Re: Fw: [accessibleimage] Sight Reading of Braille Music

Dear Robert,

Thank you for forwarding this message.  Please send the following reply
for me as I am indeed not a member of this listserv called
AccessibleImage.

Dear Members of the AcessibleImage List,

Robert Jaquiss kindly forwareded a copy of the message below to me.  I
am not subscribed to this list so if you wish to send me an E-mail,
please use my info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx address.

As the term implies, sight-reading involves seeing a piece of music for
the first time and playing it "at sight".  In fact, blind singers who
read braille music can sight-read music.  But for those of us blind
musicians who are not singers, we must study and memorize the braille
score before we can perform it.  However, we now have technology to
augment the information provided on a hardcopy braille page.  Please
read on to learn more.

As Robert knows, I founded Dancing Dots 16 years ago.  It is a
technology company for blind musicians.  We have developed the GOODFEEL
Braille Music Translator which has been integrated with a mainstream
music notation editor called Lime.  Lime is comparable to Finale or
Sibelius but has been marketed as shareware.

Anyhow, if the new material to be learned can be obtained in the form of
a Lime notation file, the student can learn by listening to the PC
perform the music inn tempo or moving through the score note by note or
chord by chord.  The JAWS screen reader verbally describes the note as
it sounds.  Users with a refreshable braille display can feel the
corresponding braille music symbols as they navigate through the score.
Print and braille notation scrolls in sync so that sighted and blind
musicians working together always know the bar and beat of the
highlighted note  This integration facilitates communication between
sighted musicians who may not know how to read braille music and blind
musicians who know little or nothing of how print music is read.

Creating Lime files can be accomplished by scanning hardcopy print music
using the SharpEye Music Reader music OCR software included with
GOODFEEL, by importing it in the form of MusicXML which can be exported
from third-party music editors such as Finale or Sibelius, or Lime files
can be created directly by typing in or playing in the notes using the
PC and musical keyboards.

Using Lime, one can vary the playback tempo and even mute or solo
individual parts.  For example, if you have memorized the music for the
first section of the soprano part of a vocal score, you can mute the
soprano part during playback.  Then, as the PC plays the other parts,
you can play or sing the soprano part that you have memorized. Or,
alternatively, you can simply listen to the audio playback while reading
along from your hardcopy score.

The Lime notation editor permits you to transpose music using the Key
Signature dialog that appears after you press CONTROL+K.

Here's a bit more information about Lime and Lime Aloud.  See
www.DancingDots.com and follow links to GOODFEEL or Lime Aloud to learn
more.  Click on "Presentations" link from our home page to choose from a
list of audio and video presentations you can review or see the Lime
Aloud page to download the mp3 file for that audio presentation.

Lime is software that lets you read and write printed music notation.
Lime Aloud gives the blind musician excellent access to Lime's rich set
of notation editing features. With the JAWS for Windows screen reader
software installed, Lime Aloud provides the blind musician with verbal
and musical cues that make it easy to use Lime independently and most
productively.

Lime Aloud functions as a stand-alone product and also as a feature of
the GOODFEEL Braille Music Translator software from Dancing Dots. In
addition to the many verbal and musical cues Lime Aloud provides,
GOODFEEL customers can read the equivalent braille music for the current
measure on their electronic braille display. Of course, GOODFEEL can
also convert the entire Lime file into the equivalent music braille and
send it to your embosser to make a hardcopy document. Go to
www.DancingDots.com and select the link for GOODFEEL for more
information.

Using Lime with Lime Aloud, you can:

Listen to playback of all or selected parts in tempo with a metronomic
click as a reference. It's easy to set playback tempo at, under or over
the marked tempo of the piece.
Memorize new material by listening to the verbal and musical cues as you
move note by note or chord by chord through the Lime file.
Play along on your own instrument with Lime's playback at a practice or
performance tempo.
Prepare printed scores of your musical ideas such as original
compositions and arrangements or assignments for music courses.

You will find a brief audio presentation  demonstrating our access
solution to the Lime notation editor at:
http://www.dancingdots.com/prodesc/limealoud.htm

See the heading labeled:
Audio Presentation of Lime Aloud Available for Download

Alternatively, go to www.DancingDots.com and follow the "Presentations"
link and then select the Lime Aloud demo from the list.

Regards from Dancing Dots!

Bill McCann

Founder and President since 1992

www.DancingDots.com

        From: "Robert Jaquiss" <rjaquiss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

        Hello Bill:

             I thought I would send this your way, since I don't think
you are on the accessibleimage list.

        Regards,

        Robert Jaquiss