[accessibleimage] Re: Blind children drawing people

I learned how ti interact with flat 3d almost by accident but I am still not
good at it and I'm blind since birth now aged 60.  I happened to see a tactile
drawing standing on it's edge and it clicked.  I think that a lot of training
at a young age is important.  I think at some point, the ability to grasp
complex 3d understanding becomes out of reach but I hope not.  I'd love to be
taught or at least for the attempt to be made.

I got drawing right away as soon as the right tools were presented.  I figured
out a way to draw clothing but I could never figure out how to draw them so
that they weren't transparent <grin>

On Jan 29, 2012, at 11:14 PM, cpond wrote:

Yes.  I do find it completely familiar, Amanda.  Ha, some funny mishaps on my
part with which I won’t tangle up this list.  Write me off-line if you wish.
But, before you wrote your reasons for not drawing clothes on the figure, I had
the question (your reason) in my mind.  Then when I read it, it felt like inner
verdigo sort of.

When I had to study drafting of sorts, I could never for the life of me figure
out how the tactile representations of three-D objects shown to me could be
seen as such by the sighted.  Feel the three-D tactile drawing of a ball, a
barrel, a cookie, a record, a cylinder, and other more complex figures and
you’ll get the idea.  The drawing of a house looked—that is felt—absolutely
Nothing like the three-D models of houses which I’ve handled.  The same goeth
for some animals.  So, I merely memorized the generic shapes so I could
duplicate various drawings when I had to on the raised kine drawing kit.  I
varied the parameters, added subfigures together, but could never understand
them visually.

IN some cases, I could never identify an object as it was drawn, but as soon as
it was told me to me then limbic recognition flashed forth, like a blaze of
lightning where before had reighned great darkness.

I’ve known people who lost their sight as adults, and they had no such
challenges as these.

Charles