From: bmarek
Sent: Sunday, January 29, 2012 2:28 PM
To: accessibleimage@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [accessibleimage] Re: Blind children drawing people

It's probably silly to post a question and then to try and answer it but I,
too, find the question intriguing. I work mainly with school-age children,
where I am confronted with somewhat different challenges, like the request I
had from a 10-year old who said: I can understand drawings of people standing
but not when they are doing something. To help him and other children solve
this "problem", I developed a resource which I call "Fleximan" but it only
helps children understand what people look like when they sit, bend down, jump,
do push-ups or somersaults, kick or throw a ball etc. but does not provide an
answer to the question about how very young blind children draw people.  My
feeling is that "tadpoles" may not be an obligatory stage in blind children's
drawings. Drawing on plastic is much harder than drawing on paper so probably
blind children do not start drawing as early as sighted kids, and, drawing a
circle is not easy when you can't see so sth like a rectangle is more likely as
the main part of a person's body. But I may be wrong

Boguslaw 'Bob' Marek

W dniu 29.01.2012 20:16, bmarek napisał(a):

  Below I am copying a message from another list - a question from a friend in
Australia.

  Boguslaw 'Bob' Marek:

  Hi,
  For a new project I am very interested to find out if you know of research or
resources giving an insight in the drawing development of young blind children
and if, like their sighted peers, they go through a period in which they draw
so-called "tadpole drawings", basically a circle as the head and body in one,
and then sticks as arms and legs?
  kind regards,
  Phia

  Sonokids Australia