[accessibleimage] Re: Blind children drawing people

I have seen adult blind people try-out the Hungry Fingers resources that are so carefully and cleverly developed by Bob Marek. The use of the "Transfograph" resulted in a wonderful “aha!” moment. First exploring the small 3D model of a bed, and then sliding it sideways into the "Transfograph", the 2D image of the same object could be explored. It clearly helped this person to (finally) understand how a bed will be pictured. Fleximan in its turn clearly clarified the concept of movement and 2D representation of the human shape with moving limbs. Fleximan for instance can “take a step” and the way one bent leg is then positioned as if frozen in air, while the other foot rests on the ground (or is still moving too), can be explored. Missing out on visual imput from the world around him or her, this greatly enhances a blind’s person perception and understanding of the way people move and how this can be 'caught' in a drawing. The comment “I wish I had these resources available to me when I was a child”, tells it all.

I really appreciate all the feedback from this list on my original question about the possible development of tadpole drawing in children who are blind and the interesting discussion that has followed.

warm regards from a warm Australia,

Phia

Phia Damsma
Creative Director