[accessibleimage] Re: Blind children drawing people

Dear Sylvie,

This was also my experience watching blind children
draw - closing a circle was a bit of a problem. Most bodies in these
drawings were rectangular rather than round. As for having a "model" for
drawing people doing different things, this is precisely what Fleximan
(described earlier) does. Fleximan is a stick figure with moveable,
magnetic joints. F. can be shaped to "look like" someone standing, or
walking, running, bending down jumping, kicking or throwing a ball,
shaking hands with another F. etc. Whilke each sahpe is static, F. can
also demonstrate movement - raising one or both arms, or one or both
legs, bending down etc. Combined with tactile drawings representing
these activities F. helps understand drawings of people "doing things".
The Statewide Vision Resource Centre in Australia has tested Fleximan
with children (svrc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) and Phia from SONOKIDS
(phia@xxxxxxxxxxxxx) may want to comment on the reaction of some adults
born blind to Fleximan and tactile drawings of people.

Boguslaw 'Bob'
Marek

W dniu 06.02.2012 16:52, Kaizen Program napisał(a):

> I have
seen young blind children draw circles with parts sticking out, drawn

on plastic and with raised line pens and laying down yarn on velcro, and

> using pipe cleaners to make lines. The challenge is generally getting
the
> circle closed. But, I am wondering if all children who have basic
toys,
> round things with some protrusions, begin thinking of these
kinds of
> drawings. Also, with sighted children there is the exposure
to cartoons.

> Of course, when we draw people doing things, we are
drawing them frozen in
> one pose of the doing. I wonder if the boy who
doesn't know how to draw
> people doing things is aware of this. Maybe
it would help to have tactile
> figures attached to cardboard or wood
or something else stiff with pivoting
> or movable joints... to
demonstrate the various stages of motion and how it
> can be frozen in
a specific picture.

> All my best,
> Sylvie
>
> Sylvie Kashdan,
M.A.
> Instructor/Curriculum Coordinator
> KAIZEN PROGRAM for New
English Learners with Visual Limitations
> 810-A Hiawatha Place South

Seattle, WA 98144, U.S.A.
kaizen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx