[accessibleimage] Re: Blind children drawing people

I have seen young blind children draw circles with parts sticking out, drawn
on plastic and with raised line pens and laying down yarn on velcro, and
using pipe cleaners to make lines. The challenge is generally getting the
circle closed. But, I am wondering if all children who have basic toys,
round things with some protrusions, begin thinking of these kinds of
drawings. Also, with sighted children there is the exposure to cartoons.

Of course, when we draw people doing things, we are drawing them frozen in
one pose of the doing. I wonder if the boy who doesn't know how to draw
people doing things is aware of this. Maybe it would help to have tactile
figures attached to cardboard or wood or something else stiff with pivoting
or movable joints... to demonstrate the various stages of motion and how it
can be frozen in a specific picture.

All my best,
Sylvie

Sylvie Kashdan, M.A.
Instructor/Curriculum Coordinator
KAIZEN PROGRAM for New English Learners with Visual Limitations
810-A Hiawatha Place South
Seattle, WA  98144, U.S.A.
phone:  (206) 784-5619
email:  kaizen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx