[accessibleimage] Audio Description Project 2010 CONFERENCE
- From: Lisa Yayla <fnugg@xxxxxxxxx>
- To: "accessibleimage@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <accessibleimage@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Access to Art Museums <artbeyondsightmuseums@xxxxxxxxxx>, "art_beyond_sight_learning_tools@xxxxxxxxxx" <art_beyond_sight_learning_tools@xxxxxxxxxx>, Art Beyond Sight Advocacy <art_beyond_sight_advocacy@xxxxxxxxxx>, Art Beyond Sight Theory and Research <art_beyond_sight_theory_and_research@xxxxxxxxxx>, Art Beyond Sight Educators List <art_beyond_sight_educators@xxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Sun, 30 May 2010 15:07:46 +0200
American Council of the Blind's Audio Description Project Forwarding 2010 CONFERENCE -- REGISTER NOW! ATTENTION--ALL AUDIO DESCRIPTION ENTHUSIASTS WORLDWIDE! AMERICAN COUNCIL OF THE BLIND AUDIO DESCRIPTION PROJECT announces the 2010 SECOND ANNUAL AUDIO DESCRIPTION PROJECT (ADP) CONFERENCE An Initiative of the American Council of the Blind (ACB) "DESCRIBERS TELL IT LIKE IT IS!" Phoenix Downtown Sheraton Hotel - July 12-14, 2010 Phoenix, ArizonaOn-line registration for the Conference is now available at: https://acbconvention.org/RegForm.aspx
PLEASE NOTE:- We're still accepting nominations for achievement awards in description: Performing Arts, Museums, Media, International, the Dr. Margaret Pfanstiehl Memorial Achievement Award in Audio Description-Research and Development, and the Barry Levine Memorial Award for Career Achievement in Audio Description. Submit nominations at: http://acbadp.wufoo.com/forms/2010-audio-description-project-awards/
- Encourage young people who are blind or have low vision--ages 7-18--to review described video or film and send in their reviews to the Young Described Film Critic Contest!
For more information on all awards, go to: http://www.acb.org/adp/docs/AD-ACB-ADP%20Awards%202010.doc
(If using Internet Explorer, please check "enable macros," if necessary.)- The ADP Conference is immediately followed by: ACB/ADP AUDIO DESCRIPTION INSTITUTE - July 15-17, 2010, a three-day intensive series of interactive, multi-media sessions focused on the fundamentals of audio description (offering an ACB certificate of completion of Audio Description Training for all successful participants). The need for trained describers is expected to increase with expanded funding and the passage of pending legislation that mandates description for television broadcasts. Register for the Institute (and the ADP Conference) at: https://acbconvention.org/RegForm.aspx
WHO SHOULD ATTEND THE CONFERENCEThis conference is open to anyone interested in the field of Audio Description for performing arts, museums, media, and myriad applications.
AGENDA(partial listing--the latest, detailed agenda is posted on the ADP website: www.acb.org/adp)
· Special Guest Speakers: - Robert David Hall, actor (CSI) and access advocate (invited); - Rose Daly-Rooney, AZ Assistant Attorney GeneralDaly-Rooney's work was critical in the recent victory regarding captions and description for presentations at an AZ chain of movie theaters.
- Karen Peltz Strauss, Deputy Chief, Consumer and Governmental Affairs Bureau, Federal Communications Commission (via Internet or video)
plus:· Special reports from description providers and advocates in Australia, Germany, Canada,
Spain, the U.K., and others; · Get the latest information on Congressional action regarding a mandate for description on broadcast television;· Find out What Works--participate in a panel discussion with description users and description providers on "what works" in the development of description in various formats/genres (performing arts, museums, media, etc.);
· Catch up on the latest from the Described and Captioned Media Program (DCMP) and screen its described educational videos--also hear an update on Listening Is Learning, a joint initiative of the Described and Captioned Media Program and the ADP;
· Learn more about People with Disabilities in the Production of Description - PART TWO--Last year's attendees enjoyed "Part One" of this session, a live audio presentation by Rick Boggs, President, Audio Eyes and The Accessible Planet; Former Director of Described Media, VITAC. This year, Rick joins us in person to demonstrate important description techniques and illustrate the ways in which description production benefits from collaboration with description users;
· Discover the latest on Description for Media and AD in Canada--Entertainment lawyer Dana Walker (formerly Vice President, Business Development and now consultant to DVD distributor Shout Factory; founder of New Media Resources and describedmedia.com) and a representative from Canada's The Accessible Channel (invited), will brief us on their efforts and offer the latest news on description on DVDs and downloads as well as the latest in description throughout Canada;
· Meet Eileen Bagnall of ARTAbility Arizona and VSAarts of Arizona--she'll detail how Arizona describers provide access to the visual image at performances, events and exhibitions throughout the state. During the ACB Convention and Conference, VSAarts of Arizona will provide an audio described tour for ACB members of Phoenix's Heard Museum and a performance of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat at the Broadway Palm Dinner Theater;
· Review national guidelines for Audio Description (based on existing standards worldwide);
· Discuss proposed ACB-sponsored Certification for audio describers with a representative of the Registry for Interpreters the Deaf;
· Award the second annualYoung Described Film Critic honors in three age ranges to young description users (a program of the ADP/DCMP "Listening Is Learning" Initiative);
· Recognize leading describers and description producing organizations with achievement awards in description-Performing Arts, Museums, Media, International, the Dr. Margaret Pfanstiehl Memorial Achievement Award in Audio Description-Research and Development, and the Barry Levine Memorial Award for Career Achievement in Audio Description
REGISTRATIONThe registration process is open now! The $200 cost ($180 + $20 for ACB Convention and Conference registration) includes:
- three days of sessions and screenings beginning at 1:00 pm each day and extending into the evening
- Conference luncheon on July 14, 2010 LODGING Contact the Phoenix Downtown Sheraton Hotel Reservations: 800-325-3535Mention the ACB Convention and ask about the special ACB daily rate of $89.00. http://www.starwoodhotels.com/sheraton/index.html
TO DO NOW!Visit the ACB website at https://acbconvention.org/RegForm.aspx to register on-line, or send an email to/call Joel Snyder at jsnyder@xxxxxxx -- 202 467-5083 for more information.
FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION ABOUT THE AUDIO DESCRIPTION PROJECT, VISIT: www.acb.org/adp
Other related posts:
- » [accessibleimage] Audio Description Project 2010 CONFERENCE - Lisa Yayla
- » [accessibleimage] Re: Audio Description Project 2010 CONFERENCE - Jean Matyczyn