[accessibleimage] Re: Accessible Freehand Drawing

Hi:
Just not trying to be nosey, however, I think you can incorporate your
software with the iFeelPixel or the vOICe software's and these drawings that
has
been created by a blind user can be also felt and heard by the same person
using
these couple of software's.  I was just suggesting.  It is a very interesting
project/research.
-Does your software help to draw different geometric figures?  Say graphs,
flow charts and 3d figures like in the engineering and mathematical field?
Wess
Table with 2 columns and 6 rows
Subj:
[accessibleimage] Accessible Freehand Drawing
Date:
12/14/2006 5:15:42 AM Eastern Standard Time
From:
will-pearson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
To:
accessibleimage@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent from the Internet
(Details)
table end

Hi,

If you had an accessible freehand drawing tool what features would you like
to see in it?  I've very recently finished a prototype freehand drawing tool
that allows a blind person to explore, create, and modify diagrams using
haptic I/O, which is similar to tactile diagrams.  This piece of software does
*NOT* make a diagram accessible through speech, either through the use of a
screen reader or by self-voicing, and I have no intention of making it do so.

The software has a limited set of features at the moment.  It uses a single
pen to draw, which is in the form of a freeform line, and only works with black
and white images; However, it has several advantages, namely, it uses the
standard bitmap format and is allows for blind and sighted individuals to
collaborate
on drawing tasks together.  The software has several features designed to
enable this integrated collaborative approach: networking that allows many
people
to collaborate together and a visual, as well as a haptic, user interface,
both of which can be used separately or in combination.

One feature I'm thinking of investigating is incorperating support for the
Mimeo range of electronic whiteboards.  My hope in investigating this is that
including this, if possible, could really improve integration for blind
students in a mainstream learning environment.

At the moment this is only a research prototype, but your ideas are welcome.
I'm hopefully going to begin making this publically available next year.
The main reason for this delay in availability is that haptic hardware is
still very expensive; however, this is planned to change next year with the
release
of some low cost haptic devices.  As usual, this is a spare time project and
the timline may slip on my part.

Will