[accesscomp] Dan's Tech Tip

  • From: "Bob Acosta" <boacosta@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tektalk discussion" <tektalkdiscussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 08:41:16 -0700

    Dan's Tech Tips:

How Secure Is My Password?

Test Your Password Strength at How Secure Is my password

The folks over at Lifehacker have found another great site for us to talk about.

How Secure Is My Password is a no-frills password checker that dishes the dirt
on your password strength or lack there of.

How Secure Is My Password is a simple site with a singular focus, forcing you
to think about the strength of your passwords. Enter any string of characters
and it will tell you how long a brute force attack against that password would
take using modern computers.

NOTE: For the sake of security, we'd strongly recommend constructing fake
passwords for testing purposes rather than using your actual password. Consider
the site an interesting exercise about how adding a few characters and symbols
to your password can increase its security. You can never be too paranoid about
security!

Simple passwords like "Password" are immediately flagged as weak, identified as
one of the most 500 common passwords. Plug in something a little trickier like
RedDogLa$er4225#Niner and you get a nice comforting response "It would take
about 7 septillion years for a desktop PC to crack your password".

Click this link to visit:

http://HowSecureIsMyPassword.net

If you have any questions about the tips posted in Dan's Tech tips, please
contact Dan at the following email address:

dthompson5@xxxxxxxxx

Robert Acosta, President
Helping Hands for the Blind
Email: boacosta@xxxxxxxxxxx
Web Site: www.helpinghands4theblind.org

You can assist Helping Hands for the Blind by donating your used computers to
us. If you have a blind friend in need of a computer, please mail us at the
above address.