[accessbangla] [blindCity] three female students invent electronic stick for the blind

  • From: "Vashkar bhattacharjee" <vashkar79@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <accessbangla@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 May 2010 07:29:21 -0700

Nablus, May 4, (Pal Telegraph) Three female students living in a
Palestinian refugee camp in Nablus, West Bank, created an electronic
stick to help the
blind to avoid obstacles while walking using infrared beam and small
bell for alert.

Noor Al Urda, one of the three students who participated in the
innovation, "Our project is scientific and technological. We tried to
harness the technology
in our environment to help on people who need help who are blind
through by developing an electronic stick for the blind which will
facilitate their movement
and help them come over their disabilities and obstacles by alerting
them if they are infront of stairs or holes.

A blind old man from Nablus named Fatih Kandil used this electronic
stick and confirmed its help and great usage.

Intel Corporation rewarded the three students by paying the cost of
two of them to travel to San Jose, California to present their
innovation in a contest.
The students voted among themselves to choose the two whom travel but
Aseel had to stay. The bad circumstances of Aseel's family to pay for
student to
travel to the United States with her colleagues. But the staff of the
Relief and Works Agency for Palestinian refugees, the UNRWA,
intervened and raised
money among themselves to cover the travel expenses of Aseel.

Chris Jones, spokesman for UNRWA, visited the school of thee three
girls to preach the good news for Aseel that she is traveling with her
colleagues. The
little girl cried when she was informed of the news.

--
"When I Am Here, Then Why Do You Fear"

Thanks and regards